SAAA’s Senior Olympics
Every fall, the Shenandoah Area Agency on Aging (SAAA) brings seniors from its seven Active Living Centers to compete in a friendly but spirited version of Senior Olympics. Wednesday, September 17, in the Clarke County Parks and Recreation Gym, teams representing Page, Shenandoah, Fort Valley, Warren, Frederick, Winchester, and Clarke Active Living Centers competed to bring the coveted trophy back to their Center for the year. September is National Senior Center Month so it’s a good time to focus on the importance of good nutrition, being active and having a support system of caring friends-all available at SAAA’s Active Living Centers.
The games began with the parade of Centers bearing their county flags as they walked around the gymnasium. Sixteen Shenandoah University Nursing students and their professor Helen Zebarth and staff from Clarke County Parks and Recreation Department set up and ran the competitions in Bowling, Checker Toss, Soccer Kick, Basketball and Bean Bag Toss. The Centers having taken these games seriously, practiced for months, wore matching t-shirts and some even had pompoms to wave as they cheered on their team.
Warren County Active Living Center received the trophy as the 2014 Senior Olympic Champion with 2 First Place wins, 1 Second place and 1 Third place. Terry Byrne, the new Warren County Active Living Center Director, held the trophy triumphantly and immediately wanted a picture taken with the excited group dressed in red t-shirts from her Center.
The top three winners in each category follow:
1) Faye Eckley, Warren County ALC
2) Rebecca Heishman, Shenandoah County ALC
3) Paula Binstead, Shenandoah County ALC
- Marie Harley, Frederick County ALC
- Suzi Gavaza, Page County ALC
- Rolleen Hartman, Winchester ALC
- Daniel Koontz, Page County ALC
- Barbara Gray, Winchester ALC
- John Grim, Frederick County ALC
Checker Toss –
- Ginny Campbell, Frederick County ALC
- Teresa Carter, Page County ALC
- Mary Marlin, Warren County ALC
Bean Bag Toss –
- Katie Barnhart, Warren County ALC
- Mary Crabbe, Warren County ALC
- Barbara Guay, Winchester ALC
For more information on the Shenandoah Area Agency on Aging, the Active Living Centers, Our Place Respite Centers, Meals on Wheels, Personal Care, Homemaker Assistance, Long Term Care questions, WellTran rides, VICAP (Medicare Insurance Counseling) or any other aging issues, call (540) 635-7141 or 800 883-4122 or visit www.shenandoahaaa.com.