Dee Schools has fast became a favorite SAAA volunteer providing support for agency on aging special activities and services. Monthly she visits the Warren County Active Living Center providing a Bingo Program that actually teaches fire safety and bringing prizes for the Bingo winners.
In addition, she’s been an important part of the annual Senior Carnival helping with location and people power to move tables and chairs. Last year she wrote a winning grant in collaboration with SAAA and the Warren County Fire & Rescue Department that provided fire safety training for Warren County seniors.
Her official volunteer title is Public Fire Educator and Deputy CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) Coordinator. Her volunteer work for the Warren County Fire and Rescue Department consumes anywhere from 5- 35 or even 40 hours some weeks.
That hardly leaves any time to own and operate a small business but somehow with flexible hours six days a week and once a month on a Sunday too, Dee Schools operates Back to Nature Massage in a small office in Linden. Her decision to become a massage therapist began soon after her favorite job ended.
Dee was a fundraiser for the World War II Memorial and had the privilege of meeting many soldiers and hearing first hand their stories. Impressed with the depth of their commitment and sacrifice, she was often moved to tears and deeply involved in making the lasting memorial in Washington DC happen.
When her job ended, she missed the personal involvement. At the time her grandmother was experiencing severe pain with osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. Dee’s grandmother provided support, encouragement and motivation. And, in 2006, Dee Schools became a certified massage therapist and found another job that she loves. Dee witnessed firsthand the physical relief she could provide through massage for her grandmother.
Benefits of massage for Older Adults include:
• Reduced pain & stiffness. Can help with shuffle feet.
• Reduced heart rate and blood pressure
• Increased circulation, lymph flow and immune function
• Increased endorphins, reduced pain •
• Reduced stress
• Increased joint flexibility
• Improved alertness and ability to focus.
• According to a 2010 study about massage therapy and health outcomes in older adults, published in the "Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies," those who received massage therapy within the past year produced significantly higher health outcome scores in the following categories: emotional well-being, limitations due to physical issues and limitations due to emotional issues.
• Massage therapy can help you by reducing your anxiety, depression, stress and loneliness, and can improve your self-confidence and enhance your quality of life. The sense of companionship you derive from a visit to your massage therapist is also an important healing effect of massage therapy. Human touch can have a significant impact on your mental and emotional well-being.
A gift certificate for a massage might be the best Christmas present ever for the older relative who has everything.
There are many wonderful choices for local massage therapy appointments including:
Back to Nature Massage
5267 John Marshall Hwy. Suite B
Linden, VA 22642
Monday-Saturday; Flexible Hours
Valley Health & Wellness Services Locations:
12 East Luray Shopping Center Luray, VA 22835 (540)743-9968
120 N. Commerce Ave., Suite 245 Front Royal, VA 22630 540-635-0730
401 Campus Blvd.
Winchester, VA 22601